This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link).
November Reading / Life
- November was all about nonfiction as I co-hosted Nonfiction November, one of my favorite reading events of the year! I read/listened to 10 books (8 of them nonfiction) and most were stellar.
- We also hosted my family for Thanksgiving for the first time ever. I absolutely hate hosting parties, but this one was laid back and wasn’t nearly as hard to host as I’d imagined. It certainly helps when everyone brings a dish! On to the reading…
- Stellar nonfiction: The Happiness Project (audio), Forty Autumns, Dear Fahrenheit 451 (all reviewed here)
- Good, but not perfect nonfiction: After the Eclipse, Black Dahlia, Red Rose, Strangers in Their Own Land (all reviewed here)
- Nonfiction stinkers: How Reading Changed My Life, Unbelievable (audio) (all reviewed here)
- Two novels: Unraveling Oliver (dang good and surprising!) and Everybody’s Son(still processing)
- DNF’s: I’ll Have What She’s Having, Everything Is Awful, 10% Happier (all on audio) and The Senator’s Children
- I shared my 2017 Best Holiday Gifts for Book Lovers guide. I’ve got you covered for all the book lovers on your shopping list…book recommendations, my favorite book subscription service, and some bookish gifts that aren’t books!
- December Book of the Month Club selections will be announced tomorrow! Stay tuned for my commentary on the December selections. In the meantime, prepare for the big reveal by using my new guide (and free template below) to help you find your go-to and no-go BOTM judges!
Choose the best Book of the Month Club selection for you every time!
What’s Coming in December
- Free Range Reading – Every year, I reserve December to read whatever the heck I want! I’m hoping to knock out some backlist books that have been on my TBR forever, possibly re-read an old favorite, and start some 2018 releases.
- No Book Reviews – but, I’ll still be talking about the books I’m reading in my Monday What I’m Reading Now posts and on Twitter and Instagram.
- Year End Wrap-Up Posts – such as Best Books of 2017 lists, year-end reading and blog stats, and general reflection on 2017.
- A Look Ahead to 2018 – an overview of some exciting new things happening around here next year!
My Favorite Book(s) of the Month
Best Book of the Month
Best Selling Book(s) of the Month (via my affiliate links)
Most Popular Posts
Posts Actually Published in November
The Best Holiday Gifts for Book Lovers 2017
Book of the Month Club November 2017 Selections: What Book Should You Choose?
Nonfiction November 2017: Fiction / Nonfiction Book Pairings
Top November Instagram Post (follow me @sarahsbookshelves)
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️It’s a 5 star Alcohol & Advil pairing…possibly the first 100% 5 star one I’ve ever done! The Heart’s Invisible Furies will slay every emotion you have…you’ll laugh and cry and everything in between. And, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo will fix you right up afterwards…it reads easy, but the story has lots of depth. You’ll probably start out hating Evelyn, but don’t be sure you’ll end up there. Also – you have no idea how truly perfect a pairing this is until you’ve read both books. LINK TO MY REVIEWS IN BIO.⠀ _⠀ ⠀ How do you recover from a book that absolutely slays you?⠀ _⠀ ⠀ Alcohol & Advil is my feature where I pair a book likely to cause a “reading hangover” (i.e. the alcohol) with a recovery book (i.e. the Advil)! For me, the “alcohol” is usually a book that I either absolutely loved or one that punched me in the gut in an emotionally depleting way…and, in this case, it’s the former.⠀ *⠀ *⠀ *⠀ *⠀ *⠀ @johnboyne @hogarthbooks @tjenkinsreid @atriabooks @bookofthemonth #bookstagram #amreading #bookworm #instabooks #bookblogger #booklover #booklovers #booksofinstagram #bookgram #bookblogger #bookaddict #bookaddiction #fiction #bookofthemonth #bookofthemonthclub #BOTM #heartsinvisiblefuries #sevenhusbandsofevelynhugo
Favorite Posts by Fellow Bloggers
- I was thrilled to be featured along with nine other bloggers in Bibliotaph’s 10 Books Recommended by Book Bloggers post (I recommended Quicksand by Malin Persson Giolito)!
- I’m a big multi-tasker when it comes to reading. I read whenever and wherever I can…and if I’m on any workout machine other than the treadmill. Hollie at Reading on the Run has mastered reading an actual hard copy book while running on the treadmill! Impressive!
- I’m always a frantic mess over the holidays (even though I vow every year not to let this happen), so I appreciated Modern Mrs. Darcy‘s posts about being Anti-Frantic and Emotional Labor.
- Kate at Parchment Girl predicted who would win the Goodreads Choice Awards. We’ll see how her picks stack up!
- The Best Books of 2017 Lists are rolling in! In a couple weeks, I’m going to share a new tool to help you figure out which of these lists you should pay attention to…and which you shouldn’t…based on your reading taste! To date we have: Publisher’s Weekly, Amazon, Kirkus Reviews, O Magazine, Washington Post, New York Times 100 Notable Books, The Guardian (Part 1), Esquire Magazine, Elle Magazine, Time Magazine (nonfiction), Library Journal, Harper’s Bazaar, and Pop Sugar.
- It’s also Holiday Gift Guide season! I published mine on Black Friday. Here are some others I liked: Top Shelf Text, The Ardent Biblio, and Modern Mrs. Darcy.
- And, finally, we’re starting to see some Anticipated Books for 2018 lists (I’ll be sharing mine right after Christmas): Parchment Girl, Book Riot’s 101 Books Coming Out in 2018, and Susie at Novel Visits.
How was your reading month?