In Episode 56, Holly Root (Literary Agent and Owner of Root Literary) talks about the rise of the rom-com and publishing in the coronavirus era…plus, the story of selling Jasmine Guillory’s debut novel to publishers.
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Starting in June, the podcast will move to a bi-weekly airing schedule for the summer (just like last summer).
- Every episode this summer will be a full length episode (mini episodes will go on hiatus until the Fall).
- Holly’s journey to becoming a literary agent.
- What you need to be good at to be a good agent.
- Holly’s agent “style.”
- How the current rom-com trend got started and Root Literary’s role in that.
- The story of selling Jasmine Guillory’s first book to publishers.
- The move of romance from mass market only to trade paperback…and which types of romance fall in each category.
- “Patient 0” for the contemporary rom-com trend.
- The role Book of the Month has played in the rise of the rom-com.
- How coronavirus is impacting publishing (particularly book acquisition and publication dates).
- How publishers are deciding which publication dates to push back and which to hold in place during coronavirus.
- A publishing secret about Edelweiss.
- Spin-offs being a big thing in romance.
- The hard part about the “enemies to lovers trope” in romance.
- The differences between a “romance” and a “rom-com.”
Holly’s Book Recommendations [27:49]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Attachments by Rainbow Rowell | Buy from Amazon [28:08]
- Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins | Buy from Amazon [29:39]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn | Buy from Amazon [32:36]
- The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa | Buy from Amazon [35:15]
Discussion About Reading Books You Don’t Like [38:17]
Two NEW RELEASES She’s Excited About
- Girl Gone Viral by Alisha Rai (Release Date: April 21, 2020) | Buy from Amazon [40:46]
- The Heir Affair by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan (Release Date: July 7, 2020) | Buy from Amazon [43:00]
Rate It Game [43:30]
Other Books Mentioned
- Beautiful Bastardby Christina Lauren | Buy from Amazon [10:07]
- The Wedding Dateby Jasmine Guillory | Buy from Amazon [11:58]
- The Proposalby Jasmine Guillory | Buy from Amazon [11:58]
- The Hating Gameby Sally Thorne | Buy from Amazon [13:47]
- The Honey Don’t Listby Christina Lauren | Buy from Amazon [19:52]
- Beach Readby Emily Henry | Buy from Amazon [22:32]
- Eleanor & Parkby Rainbow Rowell | Buy from Amazon [28:13]
- The Right Swipeby Alisha Rai | Buy from Amazon [41:42]
- The Royal We by Heather Cocks and Jessica Morgan (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [43:00]
- Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [47:57]
- One Day in December by Josie Silver | Buy from Amazon [48:23]
- Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston | Buy from Amazon [51:41]
Holly is the founder of Root Literary, which opened in 2017. Prior to opening her agency, she worked at Waxman Leavell Literary, Trident Media Group, and William Morris. Based in Los Angeles, her clients include #1 New York Times bestsellers, international bestsellers, RITA winners and nominees, and numerous titles named to Best Books of the Year lists by Publishers Weekly, The Washington Post, NPR, the American Library Association, RT Book Reviews, Kirkus, and Amazon. She represents authors of commercial fiction for adults and kids, as well as select nonfiction.
Mini Episode featuring Liz Hein (@lizhein89)…airing May 6.
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon – When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Bookshelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
Pin this post…