In Episode 76, Laura Tremaine (author of Share Your Stuff. I’ll Go First. and host of 10 Things to Tell You podcast) joins me to talk about why women in mid-life have trouble sharing, how she chose the 10 prompts in her book, how her book club chooses the books they read, and how her reading has been recently.
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- The origin of the concept for Laura’s book and her podcast.
- Laura’s view on why women in mid-life particularly tend to have trouble sharing.
- How Laura chose these particular 10 questions for readers to ask themselves.
- Why being less “married” to this book idea helped it succeed more than her previous book ideas.
- If being a published author will change the way Laura talks about books on her podcast moving forward.
- A teaser of Laura’s second book.
- How long it took Laura to write Share Your Stuff. I’ll Go First.
- How Laura’s reading life has looked over the past couple months.
- How Laura’s book club chooses the books they read.
- How Laura’s podcast listeners’ reading taste aligns with her own.
- The next Stephen King book for someone who loved 11/22/63, but doesn’t love King’s horror.
Laura’s Book Recommendations [36:03]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- A Woman of Independent Means by Elizabeth Forsythe Hailey | Buy from Amazon [37:29]
- The Passage by Justin Cronin | Buy from Amazon [42:10]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Hollywood Park by Mickel Jollett | Buy from Amazon [46:34]
- Caste by Isabel Wilkerson | Buy from Amazon [51:06]
One Book She DIDN’T LOVE
- The Southern Book Club’s Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix | Buy from Amazon [55:29]
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Last 5 Star Book Laura Read [1:03:33]
Other Books Mentioned
- Share Your Stuff. I’ll Go First.by Laura Tremaine | Buy from Amazon [1:49]
- Educated by Tara Westover (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [49:44]
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo | Buy from Amazon [54:24]
- Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King | Buy from Amazon [1:01:34]
- 11/22/63 by Stephen King | Buy from Amazon [1:01:52]
- The Institute by Stephen King | Buy from Amazon [1:02:18]
- The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson | Buy from Amazon [1:06:20]
- In Cold Blood by Truman Capote | Buy from Amazon [1:06:20]
Other Links Mentioned
Laura Tremaine grew up in small town Oklahoma and moved to Los Angeles sight unseen when she was twenty-two years old. She worked in film and television production for many years at MTV, VH1, Fox, and Paramount Pictures, before pursuing writing full time.
Laura has been sharing her life online for ten years. She writes about friendship, anxiety, motherhood, and marriage. Her blog posts and podcast episodes resonate with women looking for ways to connect more deeply with others as they transform from one era of life into another.
Laura lives in Los Angeles with her husband, Jeff, and their two children.
There will not be a new episode next week since the podcast is on a bi-weekly schedule.
The following week, there will be a full length episode featuring Syed M. Masood, author of The Bad Muslim Discount (airing March 3).
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon – When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Bookshelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
Pin this post…