In Episode 8 (the episode in which I have a really bad cold and don’t sound like myself!), Carla from @happiestwhenreading and I talk fitting in reading amongst our mom activities, reading goals, and tracking your reading!
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How we read so much as stay-at-home moms.
- Carla’s finicky relationship with e-books…and, the only time Sarah reads hard copy books.
- Why Sarah didn’t set a quantity-based reading goal for 2019.
- The difference between achieving your reading goals and being happy with your reading.
- Setting a reading quantity goal that feels right for you.
- Tracking the publishers you have the most success with (and our top publishers).
- Tracking your recommendation sources.
- Carla’s 2 big 2019 reading goals.
- Our mutual love of dark, gut-punching books.
Carla’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi | Buy from Amazon [19:19]
- Waiting for Eden by Elliot Ackerman (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [23:30]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- The Road Beyond Ruinby Gemma Liviero | Buy from Amazon [28:38]
- The Paragon Hotel by Lyndsay Faye | Buy from Amazon [31:30]
One Book She Didn’t Love
- Fruit of the Drunken Tree by Ingrid Rojas Contreras (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [35:12]
One Upcoming Release She’s Excited About
- When We Left Cuba by Chanel Cleeton (Release Date: April 9, 2019) | Buy from Amazon [37:10]
Other Books Mentioned
- Becoming by Michelle Obama | Buy from Amazon [16:55]
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies by John Boyne (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [17:37]
- A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [21:57]
- The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [31:07]
- The Alice Network by Kate Quinn | Buy from Amazon [31:07]
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr | Buy from Amazon [31:07]
- The Gods of Gotham by Lyndsay Faye (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [33:20]
- Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden | Buy from Amazon [36:23]
- Next Year in Havana by Chanel Cleeton | Buy from Amazon [37:21]
- Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed | Buy from Amazon [42:13]
- From the Corner of the Oval by Beck Dorey-Stein (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [42:39]
- Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan | Buy from Amazon [42:57]
- Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling | Buy from Amazon [43:05]
- Louisiana’s Way Home by Kate DiCamillo | Buy from Amazon [43:22]
- Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [43:49]
- Sarah’s 2018 Reading Stats
- Sarah’s 2019 Rock Your Reading Tracker – available for $14.99
- Mash Reads Podcast interview with Yaa Gyasi
- The Readerly Report Podcast’s Waiting for Eden book club discussion
- Dear Sugar podcast
Blog | Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
As a stay-at-home mama to two “tween” kids, I finally have more time to dedicate to reading. I have loved getting back into a passion of mine that I’ve had since I was a small girl. But sadly, what I quickly came to realize is that I really don’t have a lot of local reading friends. As a way to connect with others who love to read just as much as I do, I started my “Bookstagram” account (@happiestwhenreading). This community has given me a place to engage in bookish conversations, and I can truly say I have made so many online friendships that I’m truly grateful to have.
Next Week’s Episode
Nicole Bonia and Gayle Weisswasser from The Readerly Report Podcast (airing February 27)
Support the Podcast
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at email@example.com or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.