Welcome to Sarah’s Book Shelves! I’m not a critic, journalist, or editor…and I’m not “plugged in” with any book publishers. This means the reviews I post are honest, unbiased, and based solely on my opinion of the book. I kept notes about books I read for years and, until I started this blog, used them to make recommendations to my friends. Sarah’s Book Shelves is a product of years of reading and a way to share my recommendations beyond my immediate circle of acquaintances.
I like books that…
Teach me something or make me think.
But, don’t sacrifice entertainment to teach.
Some of my favorite authors are…
A bit about me…
I am 41 years old and live in Virginia with my husband and two young children. I am currently a stay at home mom and used to work in leadership development and financial services. I grew up in Richmond, VA (where my favorite book was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett), attended college at University of Virginia, and business school at University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill. In addition to reading, I love to cook, exercise, play and watch sports (I’m obsessed with the summer Olympics!), and spend time outdoors.
- Book of the Month Judge (October 2019)
- Featured on Fiction Matters‘ “How to Make a Reader” series.
- Included on The Stripe‘s The Best Bookstagram Accounts blog post.
- Guest on The Lisa Valentine Clark radio show for BYU Radio discussing Books to Read in 2019.
- Two-time guest on The Readerly Report Podcast discussing Celebrity Book Clubs and 2018 Book Superlatives / Waiting for Eden Book Club discussion.
- Guest on WHAT TO READ NEXT podcast hosted by Laura Yamin discussing my all-time favorite books, my auto-buy authors, a book I didn’t like, and more!