In Episode 104, hotly anticipated guest, Catherine Ryan Howard (author of The Nothing Man and 56 Days), joins me to discuss her journey to becoming an author, behind-the-scenes of making of her books, her process for writing successful crime thrillers, and how much real-life crimes and circumstances influence her stories. Be ready for some non-graphic dead body talk. Plus, Catherine shares some breaking news about her upcoming novel!
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Catherine’s early influences in crime fiction.
- Catherine’s journey from travel agent to author.
- Her first book about her time working at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
- The influences behind her best-selling books, The Nothing Man and 56 Days.
- The potentially mysterious “Book Five.”
- Behind-the-scenes of her decision to write one of the first published pandemic-related crime novel.
- Accuracy in fiction and the responsibility of a novelist with crime details and plot mechanics.
- How Catherine researches the psychology of serial killers.
- Her new 50-page DNF rule.
Catherine’s Book Recommendations [35:30]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes | Amazon | Bookshop.org [35:56]
- The Vanishing by Tim Krabbé | Amazon [38:36]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Bath Haus by P. J. Vernon | Amazon | Bookshop.org [41:07]
- Northern Spy by Flynn Berry | Amazon | Bookshop.org [42:48]
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Last 5-Star Book Catherine Read
Other Books Mentioned
- 56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard [2:07]
- The Nothing Man by Catherine Ryan Howard [2:08]
- Distress Signals by Catherine Ryan Howard [5:50]
- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware [8:22]
- Run Time by Catherine Ryan Howard (August 16, 2022) [9:31]
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara [21:14]
- The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule [29:44]
- The Phantom Prince: My Life with Ted Bundy by Elizabeth Kendall [29:59]
- Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard [32:53]
- Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson [37:25]
- Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn [41:22]
- Under the Harrow by Flynn Berry [43:11]
- A Double Life by Flynn Berry [43:30]
- You Should Have Known by Jean Hanff Korelitz [51:59]
In 2 weeks (February 25), Thrity Umrigar (author of Honor) joins me.
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon.
When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
… wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Bookshelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
Pin this post…