Last year, I had no trouble picking an obvious #1 book of the year (The Heart’s Invisible Furies)…because:
- The Heart’s Invisible Furies was that good and it was not only my favorite book of 2017, but also my favorite book of the past several years.
- And, because my overall 2017 reading wasn’t all that great. The Heart’s Invisible Furies didn’t have much competition.
This year, I had more trouble picking my #1 book. And, not because it was significantly less good than The Heart’s Invisible Furies, but more because my overall 2018 reading was SO much better than last year (I attribute this to tracking my best and worst recommendation sources using my Rock Your Reading Tracker)! There was just more competition for the top spot. I actually considered over half of my top 10 as candidates for my #1 book of the year.
The reason I picked Waiting for Eden is that it’s the book that affected me the most. I even re-read/re-skimmed it for an upcoming guest podcast discussion (more on that later) and it affected me just as much the second time around. It’s not a book for everyone (you have to be okay with getting metaphorically punched in the stomach multiple times), but if you you’re comfortable with the gut-punching, then definitely give it a try.
This year, I’m not only sharing my own favorite books, but I’m also sharing the Sarah’s Book Shelves Facebook Group members’ favorites! You can join the Sarah’s Book Shelves Facebook Group (where I share my unfiltered thoughts, sneak peeks of blog posts and members’ trade book recommendations amongst each other) by supporting the blog at the $3/month level on Patreon (more details here).
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
Best Books of 2018
My #1 Book of 2018
The Rest of My Favorites
The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai (my review)
Best Book If You Want to Read A Little Life, But Are Avoiding It Because of the Relentless Abuse
Best “Issue” Book
Book With the Most Heart
Affiliate Link: Buy from Amazon
The Sarah’s Book Shelves Facebook Group’s Best Books of 2018
Not surprisingly, many of my Facebook Group’s favorites of they year lined up with mine! And, a number of the books that almost made my list did make m Facebook Group’s list! We’re all sharing recommendations in the Facebook Group, so you’d expect to see a lot of overlap.
Top Books (2 votes each)
- Educated by Tara Westover (my review)
I loved this one too…it just didn’t make my top 10!
- Clock Dance by Anne Tyler
I sampled this one, but ended up not reading it.
- The Girl Who Smiled Beads by Clemantine Wamariya (my review)
I really liked this one, though it’s a hard read. Just didn’t make my top 10.
- A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne (my review)
- A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza
- Circe by Madeline Miller (my review)
- From the Corner of the Ovalby Beck Dorey-Stein (my review)
- I Am, I Am, I Am by Maggie O’Farrell
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara (my review)
- My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh
- Once Upon A River by Diane Setterfield
- Seduction by Karina Longworth
- Sunburn by Laura Lippman
- Tell Me More by Kelly Corrigan
- The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir
- The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai (my review)
- The Line That Held Us by David Joy (my review)
- The Pisces by Melissa Broder
- Us Against You by Fredrick Backman (my review)
- You Think It, I’ll Say It: Stories by Curtis Sittenfeld (my review)
- Waiting for Eden by Elliot Ackerman (my review)
More Best Books of 2018
What were your favorite books of 2018?