In Episode 131, Catherine (@gilmoreguide) and I share the best backlist books we read in 2022. We each share our top 5 backlist books from 2022, some underrated backlist gems, and our backlist reading stats. Catherine and I both had a successful year of backlist reading, despite both of us experiencing major life events.
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link) through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Join our Patreon Community ($7/mo Superstars) to get Double Booked, a monthly podcast series where either Catherine of Gilmore Guide to Books or Susie from Novel Visits on alternate months) and I each share 2 backlist books we loved. Get more details about all the goodies available to all patrons (Stars and Superstars) and sign up here!
- Catherine’s and Sarah’s 2022 backlist reading stats.
- Sarah’s backlist reading was more spread out during the year.
- Sarah and Catherine both had fairly successful backlist reading in 2022!
- How they incorporate backlist titles for the Double Booked episodes.
Our Top 5 Backlist Books We Read in 2022 [6:14]
- The One by John Marrs | Amazon | Bookshop.org [9:11]
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler | Amazon | Bookshop.org [19:19]
- Furia by Yamile Saied Méndez | Amazon | Bookshop.org [28:19]
- Greenwood by Michael Christie | Amazon | Bookshop.org [34:20]
- Anxiety: The Missing Stage of Grief by Claire Bidwell Smith | Amazon | Bookshop.org [42:26]
- The 25th Hour by David Benioff | Amazon | Bookshop.org [6:21]
- The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O’Farrell | Amazon | Bookshop.org [13:39]
- The Invisible Kingdom by Meghan O’Rourke | Amazon | Bookshop.org [22:53]
- Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese | Amazon | Bookshop.org [30:28]
- Champagne Supernovas by Maureen Callahan | Amazon | Bookshop.org [38:11]
Underrated Backlist Gems [46:08]
- The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson | Amazon | Bookshop.org [47:09]
- My Eyes Are Up Here by Laura Zimmerman | Amazon | Bookshop.org [50:44]
- 10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World by Elif Shahak | Amazon | Bookshop.org [46:12]
- Song of a Captive Bird by Jasmin Darznik | Amazon | Bookshop.org [49:28]
Other Books Mentioned
- City of Thieves by David Benioff [8:22]
- The Measure by Nikki Erlick [10:53]
- The Passengers by John Marrs [12:56]
- The Minders by John Marrs [12:59]
- The Marriage Act by John Marrs (May 2, 2023) [13:06]
- Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell [14:16]
- I am, I am, I am by Maggie O’Farrell [14:40]
- This Must Be the Place by Maggie O’Farrell [14:45]
- Uncanny Valley by Anna Wiener [22:38]
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley [29:55]
- American Predator by Maureen Callahan [41:55]
- The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak [46:17]
- Now is Not the Time to Panic by Kevin Wilson [47:14]
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls [48:07]
- Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson [48:26]
About Catherine Gilmore
Catherine started The Gilmore Guide to Books over 10 years ago after wrapping up a career as a corporate librarian. She loves books and reading (surprise!) and currently lives in Seattle, WA.
In two weeks on February 8, Katie Gutierrez, the author of More Than You’ll Ever Know, will join me to discuss her debut novel and get her book recommendations!
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon
When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Follow / Subscribe
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
Pin this post…