In Episode 123, Nikki Erlick joins me to discuss (spoiler-free!) her debut novel, The Measure, and share her book recommendations. A both otherworldly and of our time story, in a symbolic way rather than a literal way. The Measure will absolutely be one of my favorite books of 2022!
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Nikki’s inspiration for The Measure.
- How she incorporated Ancient Greek mythology about fate in her writing.
- The ways COVID-19 pandemic influenced and impacted her novel.
- How she decided to take her story to a place of healing, peace, and hope.
- Nikki’s path to publication as a debut author.
- The comparable books and authors Nikki names for read-alikes.
- Nikki’s process for weaving together the wide variety of societal implications into her story.
- Whether Nikki thinks she’d open the box featured in The Measure…and how she’d live her life if she were a short stringer.
Nikki’s Book Recommendations [29:18]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Anxious People by Fredrik Backman | Amazon | Bookshop.org [29:35]
- Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang | Amazon | Bookshop.org [30:40]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- The Cartographers by Peng Shepherd | Amazon | Bookshop.org [33:06]
- End of the World House by Adrienne Celt | Amazon | Bookshop.org [34:30]
One Genre of Books She DOESN’T LOVE [36:33]
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Last 5-Star Book Nikki Read
Other Books Mentioned
- The Power by Naomi Alderman [14:48]
- The One by John Marrs [15:00]
- Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson [15:12]
- Beartown by Fredrik Backman [30:20]
- Exhalation by Ted Chiang [30:59]
- The Book of M by Peng Shepherd [34:11]
- Severance by Ling Ma [35:37]
- Wrong Place Wrong Time by Gillian McAllister [36:00]
- The Hacienda by Isabel Cañas [37:10]
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier [37:26]
- I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara [37:51]
- The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King [38:23]
- The Shining by Stephen King [38:43]
- Life After Life by Kate Atkinson [39:28]
- Rules of Civility by Amor Towles [42:15]
About Nikki Erlick
Nikki Erlick is a writer and editor whose work has appeared on the websites of New York magazine, Harper’s Bazaar, Newsweek, Cosmopolitan, the Huffington Post, Indagare Travel, BookTrib, and the Verge. As a travel writer, she explored nearly a dozen countries on assignment—from rural villages in France to the arctic fjords of Norway. As a ghostwriter, she has lent her voice to CEOs, academics, and entrepreneurs. She graduated Harvard University summa cum laude and is a former editor of the Harvard Crimson. She earned a master’s degree in global thought from Columbia University. The Measure is her first novel.
In two weeks on October 5, author Candice Carty-Williams will join me to discuss her new book, People Person.
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon.
When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
… wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
Pin this post…