Double Booked is a monthly series, available to my Superstars patrons, where a co-host and I each share our own book recommendations in the same format as the big show (2 old books we love, 2 new books we love, 1 book we didn’t love, and 1 upcoming release we’re excited about). In these more candid episodes, I talk more about my own reading, and share tons of books that I don’t share on any other public forum. Catherine of Gilmore Guide to Books and Susie from Novel Visits alternate months co-hosting with me.
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
As a Superstars patron, you’ll get access to the Double Booked monthly bonus podcast series Double Booked, Summer Shelves (the annual companion to my Summer Reading Guide) my annual Rock Your Reading Tracker. Get more details about all the goodies available to all patrons (Stars and Superstars) and sign up here!
- Catherine brings some books that are “so far under the radar, they’re off the grid.”
- Sarah has some wide-ranging picks with 4 own-voices stories and genres outside her comfort zone.
- Plus, both new releases are publishing next week! So, you won’t have to wait long for them.
Sarah’s & Catherine’s Book Recommendations [4:49]
Two OLD Books They Love
- Furia by Yamile Saied Mendez | Amazon | Bookshop.org [9:50]
- The Idea of You by Robinne Lee | Amazon | Bookshop.org [16:43]
- Nine Women, One Dress by Jane L. Rosen | Amazon | Bookshop.org [6:15]
- Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner | Amazon | Bookshop.org [13:21]
Two NEW Books They Love
- Last Summer on State Street by Toya Wolfe | Amazon | Bookshop.org [25:23]
- Bad City by Paul Pringle | Amazon | Bookshop.org [33:46]
- Calling for a Blanket Dance by Oscar Hokeah | Amazon | Bookshop.org [21:00]
- The Pink Hotel by Liska Jacobs | Amazon | Bookshop.org [29:41]
One Book They DIDN’T LOVE
- Sarah: The Arc by Tory Henwood Hoen | Amazon | Bookshop.org [43:28]
- Catherine: Counterfeit by Kirstin Chen | Amazon | Bookshop.org [40:30]
One NEW RELEASE They Are Excited About
- Sarah: People Person by Candice Carty-Williams (September 13) | Amazon | Bookshop.org [50:08]
- Catherine: Dinners with Ruth by Nina Totenberg (September 13) | Amazon | Bookshop.org [47:25]
Other Books Mentioned
- Firekeeper’s Daughter by Angeline Boulley [11:27]
- The View Was Exhausting by Mikaella Clements and Onjuli Datta [20:20]
- How to Fake It in Hollywood by Ava Wilder [20:22]
- Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston [20:24]
- American Royals by Katharine McGee [20:25]
- Saving Ruby King by Catherine Adel West [27:04]
- Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi [27:11]
- This Is My America by Kim Johnson [27:13]
- Deacon King Kong by James McBride [28:20]
- Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan [31:57]
- We Keep the Dead Close by Becky Cooper [37:48]
- Catch and Kill by Ronan Farrow [38:01]
- Joan by Katherine J. Chen [40:35]
- The One by John Marrs [45:55]
- Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams [50:31]
- Unlikely Animals by Annie Hartnett [53:09]
About Catherine Gilmore
Catherine started The Gilmore Guide to Books over 10 years ago after wrapping up a career as a corporate librarian. She loves books and reading (surprise!) and currently lives in Seattle, WA.
In two weeks on September 21, the author of The Measure, Nikki Erlick, will be joining me on the podcast.
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon
When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
- Follow / Subscribe
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
Pin this post…