In Mini Episode 37, Elizabeth Chapman and I talk for so long about books that it can’t technically be called a mini episode.
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How blogs, podcasts, and #bookstagram helped her go from not finishing her assigned reading in high school to becoming a high school English teacher.
- A type of book Elizabeth doesn’t like to read that will surprise you given her profession.
- Books that are “mirrors” and “windows.”
- Thoughts on Dopesick from a resident of the town where it takes place.
- Elizabeth’s class’s reaction to Dopesick.
- A novel being compared to Lord of the Flies, The Hunger Games, and The Handmaid’s Tale.
- A lengthy debate about Normal People by Sally Rooney.
- Speculation on why publishers and/or authors sometimes decide not to use quotation marks for dialogue.
- We debate the New Year’s Eve release date for Elizabeth’s upcoming release she’s excited about.
Elizabeth’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:39]
- Dopesick by Beth Macy (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:30]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [18:40]
- The Grace Year by Kim Liggett | Buy from Amazon [22:26]
One Book She DIDN’T Love
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Other Books Mentioned
- Columbine by Dave Cullen (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [17:59]
- The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [21:23]
- Lord of the Flies by William Golding | Buy from Amazon [22:49]
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Buy from Amazon [22:49]
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood | Buy from Amazon [22:49]
- The Power by Naomi Alderman | Buy from Amazon [26:53]
- Red Clocks by Leni Zumas | Buy from Amazon [26:53]
- Conversations With Friends by Sally Rooney | Buy from Amazon [32:12]
- That Kind of Mother by Rumaan Alam | Buy from Amazon [34:39]
- Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult | Buy from Amazon [34:39]
- Elizabeth’s blog: Teaching Sam and Scout
- Episode 34 with Sara Hildreth from @fictionmatters
- Episode 36 with Claire Gibson (Author of Beyond the Point)
Full length episode featuring Garrett M. Graff, author of The Only Plane in the Sky (airing Wednesday, November 13).
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon
When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
What are some of your favorite “mirror” and “window” books?
Pin this post…