In Episode 26, Beck Dorey-Stein, author of From the Corner of the Oval (my review), joins me to talk about working in the White House, being in your 20’s, and her second book!
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- A couple fun anecdotes about Presidential staffers and life in the White House.
- How / when Beck decided to write about memoir about her experience.
- The original premise of Beck’s memoir (which was different than the final book)…and how The New Yorker‘s David Remnick helped shape it.
- Our thoughts on why your 20’s are an underrated hard time in your life.
- Beck’s advice for women in their 20’s.
- How she decided what personal details to include.
- How her book was “vetted” by the White House prior to publication.
- What Beck has been up to since she left the White House.
- How Beck de-stresses after writing each day.
- A bit about Beck’s second book (which is in the works!).
- Having creative dreams in Washington, D.C.
- A book of poems for people that don’t generally read poetry.
- Trash-talking with President Obama.
Beck’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen | Buy from Amazon [24:03]
- Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger | Buy from Amazon [26:05]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Life of the Partyby Olivia Gatwood | Buy from Amazon [31:10]
- The Golden State by Lydia Kiesling | Buy from Amazon [33:29]
One New Release She’s Excited About
- Buy Yourself the F*cking Lilliesby Tara Schuster (Release Date: February 18, 2020) | Buy from Amazon [35:30]
Other Books Mentioned
- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole | Buy from Amazon [25:42]
- My Salinger Year by Joanna Rakoff (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [26:52]
- The Hopefuls by Jennifer Close (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [30:17]
- The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach | Buy from Amazon [42:47]
- Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes | Buy from Amazon [43:01]
A graduate of Wesleyan University, BECK DOREY-STEIN worked as a White House stenographer from 2012 to 2017. Previously she worked as a high school English teacher in Hightstown, New Jersey, Washington, DC, and Seoul, South Korea. This is her first book.
There is no new episode next week.
In two weeks: Fall 2019 Book Preview with Catherine of Gilmore Guide to Books (airing Wednesday, August 21).
Support the Podcast
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at email@example.com or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.
What are your favorite New York City books?
Pin this post…