UPDATE: PERSONALIZED BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS ARE NOW HERE!
Click HERE to submit a recommendation request.
My regular readers might remember a few months back when I got introspective about where I wanted to take this blog (you can get a refresher here and here if you’re interested). I mentioned that I was planning to test run a small book recommendations project around Mother’s / Father’s Days.
Personalized book recommendations are what I was referring to.
After reading the book reviews and lists on my blog, people frequently reach out to me asking for a particular type of book recommendation. Which got me thinking about about book recommendation services…
There are many book recommendation services available at the moment:
- Amazon and Goodreads use computer algorithms to tell you what you might enjoy based on what you’ve previously purchased (Amazon) and added to your various lists (Goodreads).
- Book of the Month Club allows members to choose from five curated selections each month and mails you a hardcover book (incidentally, this is a great service if you like reading hardcover books and aren’t looking for personalized recommendations).
- Some independent bookstores (i.e. Fountain Bookstore in Richmond, VA) also have personalized recommendation services where they mail you either a hardcover or paperback of the book they recommend for you.
But, I keep thinking, why aren’t there more book recommendation services…
- For people who prefer to e-read or listen to audiobooks?
- Where humans give you a recommendation based on your personal tastes? Like the internet version of your neighborhood independent bookseller?
- That pair personalized book recommendations with the freedom to choose your format and retailer?
So, I’m excited to announce a test run for a personalized book recommendations service from Sarah’s Book Shelves!
How Will the Trial Work?
- Click on the Get Personalized Book Recommendations option on the Sarah’s Book Shelves menu (this option isn’t there right now, I will add it when I launch in mid-April).
- Complete a short questionnaire about the kind of recommendation you’re looking for, and whether it’s for you or a gift.
- I will email you 2-3 book recommendations that fit your criteria within a few days.
- If your recommendations are for a gift, I can 1) email them directly to you so you can purchase the book(s) in whatever format you prefer OR 2) I can email the recommendations directly to your gift recipient!
- After you receive your recommendations, I will send you a brief survey to complete. Everyone who completes a survey will be entered to win a $15 gift certificate to Amazon (which will generally cover at least one e-book or paperback).
After the test run…
I’ll review the survey and hope to launch the paid service in one of the following formats:
- A simple personalized book recommendation service where you can either buy one-time recommendations or a monthly subscription.
- A premium level of Sarah’s Book Shelves content with a monthly personalized book recommendation as its key element, in addition to a few other features.
I’d love your feedback on this new endeavor. Please feel free to leave a comment or email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.