In Episode 68, Eilene Zimmerman (author of Smacked) shares how she decided to go public with her experience discovering her ex-husband was addicted to drugs, her research into addiction in the legal profession, and how Peter’s death shaped Eilene’s life now.
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How Eilene went from not divulging the real reason Peter died beyond a very small circle of friends and family to writing a memoir about her experience.
- How her kids have been doing since Smacked was published.
- How Peter’s law firm reacted to the NYT article and the book’s publication.
- When Eilene believes Peter first started using.
- What it was like for Eilene to go through this as Peter’s ex-wife (rather than as his wife).
- Why she started missing Peter after he passed away (even though they’d been split up for quite awhile).
- Addiction in the legal profession and the toxic culture of BigLaw.
- Eilene’s journalism career and how Peter’s addiction and death shaped her journalism career moving forward.
- Smacked being optioned for film by Elisabeth Moss’ production company.
Eilene’s Book Recommendations [30:38]
Two OLD Books She Loves
- Less by Andrew Sean Greer | Buy from Amazon [31:07]
- Circe by Madeline Miller (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [32:37]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- The Gifted School by Bruce Holsinger | Buy from Amazon [37:17]
- The Testaments by Margaret Atwood (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [39:10]
One Book She DIDN’T LOVE
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Last 5 Star Book Eilene Read [46:54]
Other Books Mentioned
- Smacked by Eilene Zimmerman | Buy from Amazon [0:54]
- The Boys’ Club by Erika Katz (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [22:55]
- Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [35:58]
- The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [35:58]
- Wild Game by Adrienne Brodeur (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [36:02]
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [39:10]
- The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman | Buy from Amazon [45:01]
- Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman | Buy from Amazon [45:01]
- The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [46:25]
- “The Lawyer, the Addict” by Eilene Zimmerman, The New York Times
Eilene Zimmerman is a journalist and social worker. For three decades, she has written about business, technology and social issues for a wide array of national magazines and newspapers. She was a columnist for The New York Times Sunday Business section for six years and since 2004 has been a regular contributor to the newspaper. In September 2020, Zimmerman completed a masters degree in social work.
There will not be a new episode next week since the podcast is on a bi-weekly schedule.
The following week, there will be a full length episode featuring Peace Adzo Medie, author of His Only Wife (airing October 28).
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon – When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Bookshelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
Pin this post…