In Mini Episode 33, Stephenie Freeman from @reads.on.wednesdays talks about hyped books, #bookstagram FOMO…and shares her book recommendations!
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- Managing #bookstagram FOMO.
- Our nervousness about The Testaments by Margaret Atwood.
Stephenie’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- American Housewife by Helen Ellis (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [4:33]
- Rush by Lisa Patton | Buy from Amazon [7:48]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Very Niceby Marcy Dermansky | Buy from Amazon [10:08]
- We Love Anderson Cooper by R.L. Maizes | Buy from Amazon [12:35]
One Book She DIDN’T Love
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Other Books Mentioned
- Living with Cheese Eaters and Bald-Headed Monkeys by Stephanie Freeman | Buy from Amazon [1:00]
- The Testaments by Margaret Atwood | Buy from Amazon 
- The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood | Buy from Amazon 
- Southern Lady Code by Helen Ellis (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [5:25]
- You Think It, I’ll Say It: Stories by Curtis Sittenfeld (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [7:29]
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck | Buy from Amazon 
- The Cartel by Don Winslow | Buy from Amazon 
I read every day of the week, not just on Wednesdays. Even random days deserve a good book. My books of choice include contemporary fiction and literary fiction, and every once in awhile I like to throw short stories, a memoir, or some historical fiction in the mix. I love using my Instagram like Tinder: a place where books and book lovers can meet and hook up.
My writing and blogging life started in 2005 after my youngest son was born. I self-published a book, Living with Cheese Eaters and Bald-Headed Monkeys, in 2006 based on my weekly newspaper humor column about motherhood, Mama Wants More. I (briefly) blogged for Disney on what eventually became their site, Babble. Through the years, my blog has naturally evolved as I have. I made the decision in 2018 to refocus and rename my blog for one reason: books and reading are what I love most.
I also love my two teenage boys and my husband who have piles of books of their own. Growing up in Oklahoma and having lived in California for the last 13 years has given me the best of both worlds. Along with reading, I love to cook and I habitually redecorate my house. I’m legally blind and a New Year’s baby.
Full length episode where Sara Hildreth from @fictionmatters (also a high school English teacher) joins me to discuss books in the classroom (airing Wednesday, October 16).
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon
When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
How do you feel about hyped books?
Pin this post…