It was a rocky month on the personal front, which definitely impacted my reading. I still read 9 books, but only thanks to some super short ones! It was also a big month for backlist and audiobooks. But, I’m thrilled with my reading quality (see below for details) so far in 2018…I improved my “successful books” percentage from last year and DNF’d mostly the right books.
- FAVORITE BOOK OF THE MONTH: An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (out February 6)
- The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides (backlist)
- What Now? by Ann Patchett (audiobook)
- Heating & Cooling by Beth Ann Fennelly (backlist)
- Bored and Brilliant by Manoush Zomorodi (audiobook)
- Red Notice by Bill Browder (backlist)
- Wedding Toasts I’ll Never Give by Ada Calhoun (audiobook)
- All the Castles Burned by Michael Nye
- The Girls in the Picture by Melanie Benjamin
- The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen
- Getting Off by Erica Garza
- Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
- The Almost Sisters by Joshilyn Jackson
- The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory
- I’m going to leave the Sarah’s Book Shelves Reader Survey open until the end of this week, so get your responses in if you want them included in my summary blog post (coming once I can compile all the data, hopefully by the end of the month).
- January Book of the Month Club selections are due today! As always, I have commentary on all the selections.
January Quality and Recommendation Sources
- % Successful Books Attempted (includes DNF’s) = 53% (improved from my 43% 2017 success rate!)
- % Successful Books Finished (does not include DNFs) = 89% (yay!)
Successful Recommendation Sources
- Annie Spence via Dear Fahrenheit 451 (The Virgin Suicides)
- Annie Jones from From the Front Porch podcast (Heating & Cooling)
- Trusted author (What Now?)
- Modern Mrs. Darcy (Bored and Brilliant)
- Kelly Massry (Red Notice)
- Rebecca Schinsky from All the Books podcast (Wedding Toasts I’ll Never Give)
- Nicole Bonia from The Readerly Report podcast (An American Marriage)
If you’re interested in tracking these types of stats, my “Rock Your Reading” Tracker does all the heavy lifting for you! Enter your book details and it automatically compiles everything into Summary Charts in real time! Go here for more details.
February Releases I’m Excited About
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (February 6)
All the Castles Burned by Michael Nye (February 13)
The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore by Kim Fu (February 13)
Sunburn by Laura Lippman (February 20)
I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara (February 27)
Most Popular Posts
Posts Actually Published in January
Book of the Month Club January 2018 Selections: What Book Should You Choose?
Eight 2017 Books I Missed
What I’m Reading Now (1/8/18) and a Quick Catch-Up
Favorite Posts by Fellow Bloggers
- Amen to Brianna Wiest at Thought Catalog for reminding us that “self-care is “making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from.” Perfectly timed reminder as we kick off a new year.
- Brianna from Pages Unbound Reviews shared her predictions for 2018 book blogging…one of which is more audiobook reviews, which I’ll be implementing here.
- Check out these actual steps in Julie’s from Julz Reads‘ actual house that she actually painted herself. Astounding.
- Looking to add more nonfiction to your reading life? Check out Katie at Doing Dewey‘s Beginner’s Guide to Nonfiction.
- I’m admittedly terrible about reading the classics, but this list of 25 Must-Read Classics for Women from Modern Mrs. Darcy made me want to change that.
- I’m always a sucker for those “books you can read in one sitting” lists…and doubly so when they come from a recommendation source I trust! Here’s Amy at Read a Latte‘s version.
- Most Anticipated Books of 2018 lists: The Millions, Bustle, Novel Visits (debuts), Read a Latte (thrillers)
How was your reading month?