In Episode 9, Nicole Bonia and Gayle Weiswasser from The Readerly Report Podcast join me to discuss their reading tastes and share book recommendations…prepare for some potentially unpopular opinions!
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How Gayle and Nicole went from bookish friends to podcast co-hosts.
- Gayle’s vs. Nicole’s reading taste.
- The book Nicole and Gayle both violently hated.
- Gayle shares a very popular book she didn’t like – which I didn’t agree with her about.
- We all talk about some huge books we didn’t love.
- How we don’t generally like Pulitzer Prize-winning books.
- How we feel about World War II books.
- How we feel about real life book clubs.
- Goodreads Choice Awards.
Gayle and Nicole’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books They Love
- Nicole: Words by Heart by Ouida Sebestyen | Buy from Amazon [13:02]
- Gayle: Evening by Susan Minot | Buy from Amazon [14:29]
Two NEW Books They Love
- Nicole: The Caregiver by Samuel Park | Buy from Amazon [17:32]
- Gayle: One Day in December by Josie Silver | Buy from Amazon [20:15]
Two Books They Didn’t Love
- Nicole: Little Bee by Chris Cleave | Buy from Amazon [23:07]
- Gayle: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [24:49]
Two New Releases They’re Excited About
- Nicole: At the Wolf’s Table by Rosella Postorino (Release Date: January 29, 2019) | Buy from Amazon [28:04]
- Gayle: Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (Release Date: March 5, 2019) | Buy from Amazon [31:33]
Other Books Mentioned
- Look Alive Out There: Essays by Sloane Crosley (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:45]
- Small Fry by Lisa Brennan-Jobs (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [10:06]
- Bad Blood by John Carreyrou (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [11:11]
- Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:17]
- The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker | Buy from Amazon [12:17]
- The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:35]
- Monkeys by Susan Minot | Buy from Amazon [15:36]
- Mothering Sunday by Graham Swift (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [16:31]
- Hourglass: Time, Memory, and Marriage by Dani Shapiro | Buy from Amazon [17:03]
- Red Clocks by Leni Zumas | Buy from Amazon [20:23]
- The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [21:45]
- One Day in September by Simon Reeve | Buy from Amazon [22:38]
- Fates & Furies by Lauren Groff (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [25:19]
- Everybody’s Son by Thrity Umrigar | Buy from Amazon [26:10]
- Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [26:36]
- All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr | Buy from Amazon [27:43]
- We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [29:48]
- These Guys Have All the Fun by James A. Miller & Tom Shales | Buy from Amazon [33:01]
- Live From New York: An Oral History of Saturday Night Live by James A. Miller & Tom Shales | Buy from Amazon [33:01]
- The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [33:34]
- One True Loves by Taylor Jenkins Reid | Buy from Amazon [33:45]
- After I Do by Taylor Jenkins Reid | Buy from Amazon [34:12]
- Book Expo
- Eight 2018 Books That Deserved the Hype…and Five That Didn’t (Sarah’s blog post)
- Anne Flosnik (audiobook narrator – Little Bee)
- The Gilmore Guide to Books review of Everybody’s Son
- Spivey’s Book Club
- It’s Book Talk review of Daisy Jones & the Six
- The Readerly Report Goodreads Choice Awards episode
The Readerly Report Podcast
Gayle has been blogging about books at Everyday I Write the Book since 2006, and co-hosts The Readerly Report Podcast with Nicole Bonia. I love to read, and I love to talk about books and what other people are reading. I live in Washington, DC with my husband, fourteen year-old twin daughters and six year-old son. I run communications and business development at a real estate technology company called Homesnap, which keeps me busy when I am not parenting or reading.
Nicole is co-host at The Readerly Report, a podcast featuring the latest literary news, candid book discussions and scads of eclectic book recommendations. She loves travel, reading on the beach, and catching up with friends over dinner and a bottle of red. Nicole writes about books and other things at NicoleBonia.com.
Next Week’s Episode
Kelly from The Well-Read Runner (airing March 6)
Support the Podcast
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Book Shelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
I want this podcast to fit what you’re looking for, so I truly do want your feedback! Please tell me (email me at email@example.com or DM me on social media) what you like, don’t like, want more of, want less of, etc. I’d also love to hear topics you’d like me to cover and guests you’d like to hear from.