In Mini Episode 42, Brittany Block (@brbreads) and I talk about the logistics of reading abroad, bleak books, and books that help you learn something.
This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
- How Brittany gets access to books while living abroad (including her library access, e-book access, and what she does in German bookstores).
- How Brittany’s reading taste has evolved (and the vast difference between her favorite book of 2009 and her favorite book of 2019).
- We lament the overuse of The Girl on the Train comparisons and discuss another egregious comparison not involving The Girl on the Train.
Brittany’s Book Recommendations
Two OLD Books She Loves
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy | Buy from Amazon [10:44]
- The Ensemble by Aja Gabel (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [14:09]
Two NEW Books She Loves
- Wanderers by Chuck Wendig | Buy from Amazon [17:32]
- My Life as a Rat by Joyce Carol Oates | Buy from Amazon [20:52]
One Book She DIDN’T Love
One NEW RELEASE She’s Excited About
Other Books Mentioned
- The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth | Buy from Amazon [8:19]
- The Dearly Beloved by Cara Wall (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [8:47]
- The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [12:57]
- The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [19:58]
- We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates | Buy from Amazon [22:46]
- The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins (My Spoiler Discussion) | Buy from Amazon [28:25]
- The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls by Anissa Gray (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [28:52]
- The Mothers by Brit Bennett (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [28:52]
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [28:52]
- Miracle Creek by Angie Kim (My Review) | Buy from Amazon [29:59]
- Sarah’s Best Books of 2019 List
- All Who Love Books! Facebook Group
- Winter 2020 Book Preview podcast episode
Full length episode featuring Jordan Moblo (@jordys.book.club) on Growing a Bookstagram Account (airing Wednesday, January 22).
Support the Podcast
- Support on Patreon
When you support the podcast on Patreon for $5/month, get bonus podcast episodes and other goodies!
If you like the podcast, I’d love for you to share it with your reader friends…in real life and on social media (there’s easy share buttons at the bottom of this post!).
…wherever you listen to podcasts, so new episodes will appear in your feed as soon as they’re released.
- Rate and Review
Search for “Sarah’s Bookshelves” in Apple Podcasts…or wherever you listen to podcasts!
Pin this post…