This post contains affiliate links and I will make a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
February Reading / Life
- My 2017 reading kicked into gear in February with a number of super high quality books! Literally four of my February books could have been my Best Book of January.
- I adored the writing and emotional tension of A Separation and All Grown Up, but they are the kind of books that I realize won’t appeal to everyone…consequently inspiring my 12 Books That Aren’t For Everyone…But WERE For Me list.
- I read two page turners in February; one was a winner (Dark Matter, enabling me to check 4 books off my 2016 Books I Missed list!) and one not so much (Behind Her Eyes, but I did get a Spoiler Discussion post out of it).
- My audiobooks were so-so: The Unwinding by George Packer didn’t offer much new insight, Bobos in Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They Got There by David Brooks was mildly entertaining, and The Valley of the Gods: A Silicon Valley Story (about Silicon Valley culture) was fairly interesting, but didn’t leave a lasting impression.
- And, I think I’ll be recommending This Is How It Always Is and Dead Letters to many people for the foreseeable future.
- I attended my first author event (I know, that’s kind of ridiculous) for my friend, Georgia Hunter and her astounding novel, We Were the Lucky Ones. It was fantastic to hear Georgia discuss her novel with Thomas Kail (director of Hamilton) and meet some of her family members whose stories she told in her novel.
- Book of the Month Club selections are due on Monday…don’t forget to get yours in or sign up for a subscription if you want to get in for March (and you should because this month’s selections are particularly awesome)! Check out my commentary on the this month’s selections, including which book I’d choose.
- Finally, I spent a big chunk of February trying to heal my thrown out back. After a couple weeks of physical therapy, massage, and rest, I’m finally starting to feel better! I’m still not back to running or intense workouts, but will hopefully be there soon.
Best Books of the Month
My Favorite Book of the Month
Best Selling Book of the Month (via my affiliate links)
March Releases I’m Excited About
Most Popular February Posts
Behind Her Eyes and THAT Ending: Spoiler Discussion
12 Books That Aren’t For Everyone…But WERE For Me
Book of the Month Club February 2017 Selections: What Would I Choose? (my commentary on the March selections is also up)
Favorite Posts by Fellow Bloggers
- Tanya at Girl XOXO asked if guessing the plot twist affects how much you enjoy the book. The Girl on the Train reiterated that my answer is a resounding YES (see my Spoiler Discussion for more details)!
- Naomi at Consumed By Ink‘s Literary Wives discussion about Meg Wolitzer’s The Wife (my review) reminded me how much I love that book…as if I needed more reminding.
- Ann at Books on the Table wished everyone a Happy Valentine’s Day with a little history of the holiday and a list of somewhat unconventional love stories (including Mothering Sunday, my favorite book of January) that sound right up my alley.
- Off the Shelf‘s list of 12 Overlooked Novels with Southern Roots included a couple books I adore (Only Love Can Break Your Heart, Bull Mountain) and a couple more to add to my TBR (The Little Friend, Bastard Out of Carolina).
- I loved Kathy at Kathy Reads Fiction‘s new way of talking about books without writing full book reviews, Books and Chill.
How was your reading month?