Can you believe I got my Monthly Round-Up done by the end of the month?! I sure can’t…there’s a first for everything!
I didn’t read quite as many books this month (7 compared to 9 last month) and it was harder to pick a clear-cut winner (but I forced myself to!). I also didn’t finish a single audiobook this month (my current audiobook is 12 hours long and I’ve been listening to lots of podcasts lately).
On the personal front, I’ve been playing lots of tennis. It’s been fun and frustrating all at the same time (I’m super rusty and get really nervous during matches!). I’ve substituted some of my running with tennis and reducing the repeated pounding of regular running has been a good thing for my back and hip issues. And, turns out tennis can be quite a cardio workout!
- FAVORITE BOOK OF THE MONTH: I’ll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara (my review)
- Sunburnby Laura Lippman (my review)
- Bachelor Nation by Amy Kaufman (out March 6)
- Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties by Camille Pagan
- I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter by Erika L. Sanchez (backlist)
- Castle of Water by Dane Huckelbridge (backlist)
- The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian (out March 13)
- Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao (out March 6)
- The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore by Kim Fu
- The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah (my quick thoughts)
- The Glass Forest by Cynthia Swanson (my quick thoughts)
- Leave a note in the comments section or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to participate in my new “Readers Recommend” feature!
I’m starting a new feature where regular blog readers (i.e. those of you who do not have your own book blogs) share some of their best book recommendations (again, thanks to the Reader Survey for this idea!) and I’d love your participation! All you have to do is answer a few book related questions via email. Email me or leave a note in the comments if you’re interested in participating!
February Quality and Recommendation Sources
Reading Quality (Jan-Feb 2018 Cumulative)
- % Successful Books Attempted (includes DNF’s) = 52% (still above my 43% success rate from 2017)
- % Successful Books Finished (does not include DNFs) = 87%
Successful Recommendation Sources
- Tyler Goodson, Manager at Avid Bookshop in Athens, GA (Sunburn, I’ll Be Gone in the Dark)
- Annie Jones from From the Front Porch podcast (Sunburn, Bachelor Nation)
- March 2018 Library Reads (Sunburn)
- Megan Abbott, author of You Will Know Me (I’ll Be Gone in the Dark)
- Ashley Spivey, The Bachelor Season 15 contestant and currently founder of #SpiveysClub Facebook Group, an awesome bookish Facebook group you should check out! (Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties)
- Read It Forward’s Favorite Books of February (Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties)
If you’re interested in tracking these types of stats, my “Rock Your Reading” Tracker does all the heavy lifting for you! Enter your book details and it automatically compiles everything into Summary Charts in real time! Go here for more details.
March Releases I’m Excited About
Most Popular Posts
Posts Actually Published in February
February 2018 Books to Read (and Skip)
12 Unconventional Love Stories for Readers Who Don’t Like Romance
Book of the Month February 2018 Selections: What Book Should You Choose?
Favorite Posts by Fellow Bloggers
I’m sorry for the light list this month…I honestly forgot to keep track of my favorite posts until the end of the month. I promise you’ll get a better list next month!
- Maintaining a blog consistently is tough and I know my motivation goes through ups and downs. Amy at Read a Latte‘s 5 Tips to Organize Your Ideas and Motive to Blog Again shares some helpful tips to get out of the downturns.
- Modern Mrs. Darcy‘s list of 50 Contemporary Books Every Woman’s Gotta Read contains a couple books I would absolutely include in my own version of this list…and many others I want to try!
How was your reading month?