This post contains affiliate links (plus: here’s your Amazon Smile-specific affiliate link), through which I make a small commission when you make a purchase (at no cost to you!).
I knew in the moment that my September reading was pretty rough, but I didn’t realize quite how rough until I saw it on paper all in one place. I think I wiled away far too much time with books I didn’t end up finishing. And, my favorite book of the month was a backlist title!
I read 5 books this month…which is SO low for me! I was listening to more podcasts than audiobooks and DNF’ing 4 books in one month may be a new record for me. Can we just pretend September never happened?!
- FAVORITE BOOK OF THE MONTH: Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
- A Cloud in the Shape of a Girl by Jean Thompson
- Tell Me Lies by Carola Lovering
- Bitter Orange by Claire Fuller
- Ordinary People by Diana Evans
- The Real Lolita by Sarah Weinman
- The Golden State by Lydia Kiesling
Best-Selling Book (via my affiliate links)
- Personalized Book Recommendations and the Superstars Facebook Group are available to anyone who supports Sarah’s Book Shelves on Patreon!
September Quality and Recommendation Sources
September 2018 (Yikes!)
- % Successful Books Attempted (includes DNF’s) = 33% (above my 43% success rate from 2017)
- % Successful Books Finished (does not include DNFs) = 60%
2018 Year-to-Date (through September)
- % Successful Books Attempted (includes DNF’s) = 58% (above my 43% success rate from 2017)
- % Successful Books Finished (does not include DNFs) = 84%
Successful Recommendation Sources
- Annie Jones from From the Front Porch podcast (Loving Frank, A Cloud in the Shape of a Girl)
- Rendall Harris, Friend (Loving Frank)
- Katie Dickinson, Sister-in-Law (Tell Me Lies)
- Unsolicited from Publisher (A Cloud in the Shape of a Girl)
- Tayari Jones, Author (A Cloud in the Shape of a Girl)
- Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney, Author (A Cloud in the Shape of a Girl)
If you’re interested in tracking these types of stats, my “Rock Your Reading” Tracker does all the heavy lifting for you! Enter your book details and it automatically compiles everything into Summary Charts in real time! Go here for more details.
October Releases I’m Excited About
The Fifth Risk by Michael Lewis (October 2)
The Witch Elm by Tana French (October 9)
A Well-Behaved Woman by Therese Anne Fowler (October 16)
A Cloud in the Shape of a Girl by Jean Thompson (October 23)
Most Popular Posts
Posts Actually Published in September
16 Character-Driven Novels I Couldn’t Put Down
September 2018 Books to Read (and Skip)
Book of the Month September 2018: What Book Should You Choose?
Favorite Posts by Fellow Bloggers
- I have a lot of trouble with classics (namely, I don’t read many of them these days), so I appreciated the Pingel Sisters list of 43 Short Classics You Actually Have Time to Read…maybe I’ll actually read some of these since they’re so short!
- I wrote a mini-review of Foe by Iain Reid a few weeks ago, but Catherine at Gilmore Guide to Books far more eloquently went into more detail in her review…and I totally agree with everything she said!
- I get lots of requests from my Personalized Recommendation Subscribers for “hidden gems.” Susie at Novel Visits shared hers from the past 5 years.
- Book Riot‘s The Books We’re Drowning In: A Bookseller’s Lament made me laugh out loud!
- Allison at Mind Joggle‘s list of 12 Fiction Books About Aging and End of Life shares books about a topic I don’t feel like comes up a lot in fiction, but that I’ve been seeing more and more of lately.
- We’re well into big, buzzy book season and the Most Anticipated Books of Fall posts are still rolling in (here’s mine!). Check these out: It’s Book Talk, The Gilmore Guide to Books, and The Amazon Book Review.
How was your reading month?