This post contains affiliate links and I will make a small commission if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
July Reading / Life
- July has continued my summer of slumpiness. I seriously think I DNF’d the same number of books I actually read this month.
- I also didn’t read as much (9 books) as in the previous few months…mostly because we’re moving in a couple weeks and I’ve been a bit frazzled preparing for that. Our move is actually happening in August, so you might see a quieter blog next month.
- July seemed to be a month of crime books…some winners (Quicksand, American Fire) and some not (See What I Have Done). While we’re on the topic of fire, Celeste Ng’s hotly anticipated Little Fires Everywhere (out 9/12) is smokin’ GOOD!
- I expected to love Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine…but, it appears I’m one of the only ones who didn’t love it.
- Shadow of the Lions was a solid 4 star boarding school mystery…it’s out on 8/1, so keep your eyes peeled!
- And to round out my nonfiction, I read and listened to a couple solid choices: Double Bind: Women on Ambition, Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? (audiobook), and I Didn’t Come Here to Make Friends (audiobook). Yes, this last one is, in fact, Bachelor winner Courtney Robertson’s behind-the-scenes tell-all. I should probably be embarrassed about including it here…but it was a fun, juicy listen for this Bachelor fan!
- Check out my commentary on the August Book of the Month Club selections…though I’m not jumping for joy over this month’s choices. On the bright side, I’m working on a new addition to my monthly Book of the Month Club feature…another tool to help you pick the Book of the Month Club selection that you’re most likely to enjoy!
- Finally, I’m putting together a small, but highly selective library for my new, built-in bookshelves and will be tracking my progress over on Instagram. Follow me at @sarahsbookshelves to see what books make the cut!
My Favorite Book(s) of the Month
Best Book of the Month
Best Selling Book(s) of the Month (via my affiliate links)
It’s a tie between…
Quicksand by Malin Persson Giolito (my review)
Final Girls by Riley Sager (how is this possible?! I didn’t even like it and didn’t review it!)
Beartown by Fredrik Bachman (my review)
August Releases I’m Excited About
Most Popular Posts
Favorite Posts by Fellow Bloggers
- The Millions posted their Great Second Half 2017 Book Preview. This list is one of the more comprehensive lists of notable new releases for the remainder of the year and it’s always a list I look forward to!
- Book Scrolling put together an aggregated list of books that appeared on multiple Best Books of 2017 So Far lists…and it’s super enlightening! Bonus: Georgia Hunter’s We Were the Lucky Ones made the top 10 by appearing on 5 different media outlets’ lists!
- Anne Bogel at Modern Mrs. Darcy recommended the perfect summer reading book for each MBTI personality type…and the book for my personality type was my favorite book of 2014!
- Rikki and Michaela at The Ardent Biblio paired hot new releases with their backlist twins…and I totally agree with the pairings for the books I’ve read (If We Were Villains, Sweetbitter)!
How was your reading month?